Audi RS6 Avant 2010

Audi RS6 Avant 2010

Generally, when you’re thinking about an Audi wagon, things such as premium craftsmanship, a generously dimensioned interior and a large boot generally come to mind. But how about Ferrari-challenging performance figures? “Isn’t that R8 territory?” you might ask. Well, if you’re Audi, not really.

The RS6 Avant, the wagon version of the RS6 sedan, has been fitted with an impressive power plant, that is able to rival in output not only the likes of the BMW M5 or the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, but also the Ferrari 360 or even the F430. Hidden underneath its smooth, curved hood lies a massive twin-turbo V10, with a 5 litre displacement. With 572 horsepower at its disposal, it claims a 0 to 100 km/h acceleration time of 4.6 seconds and a top speed – electronically limited – to 250 km/h. However, on demand, the factory is able to remove the limiter, thus allowing you to reach speeds upwards of 280km/h.

Mechanical details aside, the car comes with special styling cues, in order to set it apart from the stock Avant. The large grille now has a black honeycomb mesh, with the RS6 badge visible on the right side and the Audi logo in the centre. Featuring a strip of LED day-running lights, the sleek headlamps flank the massive grille. Underneath, two air intakes with double strakes have guiding vanes that channel the air to the front brakes. Expansive fender flares, found both in the front and the rear underline its muscular build. A pair of profiled side skirts and a rear bumper with an integrated air diffuser and a two sport exhausts, one on either side, make sure to remind to onlooker that this is no ordinary Audi. A rather subdued roof spoiler with an integrated stop light and a pair of roof bars round up the picture.

On the inside, in order to further enhance the feeling of sportiness, leather Recaro sport seats come as standard, featuring excellent lateral support. The RS6 logo is present on both the headrests and the beautifully proportioned flat-bottomed steering wheel, as a reminder of the nature of the vehicle. Interior inserts can include lacquer treated piano black, fine grain polished wood, a hybrid metallic and veneer compound – aluminium and Beaufort wood and, of course, carbon fibre, for the race minded drivers. In case you wish to upgrade your car or to further individualize it by selecting bespoke interior or exterior elements, the German manufacturer has a division called Audi Exclusive that handles any requests the customers might have, including special paint finishes and luxury components.

Naturally, the car comes with the proprietary Quattro system, meaning that it’s four wheel drive, with 40% of the power being diverted to the front wheels and the remaining 60% to the rear axle. Price wise, without any expensive optional (such as the 7.600 Euros carbon ceramic brake set) it comes in at over 98.000 Euros. A bit pricey, but considering that it’s the most potent wagon on the planet, that might even out the score.

Share this post